Kingpin only works on OpenGL compatible 3D cards or under 3Dfxl. If you are receiving the error "Hardware Device not found" then the game is not detecting OpenGL support for your video card.
If the video card in the system is a D3D card or if the system does not have a 3D accelerator card, Kingpin will not run on that system.
You want to make sure that your OpenGL driver is correctly installed.
- I am getting a colored screen (such as grey or brown) immediately after starting the game.
- I am getting an error- 'Please Insert the Kinpin CD' on startup.
- The game is showing something like- 'MM System 266 Tragic error'.
- I am getting no sound or the sound is extremely distorted.
- Every time I try to load a saved game it crashes with 'Error: FS_READ:0 bytes read'.
- All the game textures are messed up. Can this be fixed?
- I get an error when attempting to exit the Pawn-O-Matic.
- I would like to have access to the console.
- I would like to get the wheel on my mouse working with the game like I do with Quake2.
- I run an extremely high-end dedicated server but the game seems to be harsh and stuttered.
- Can I change the resolution to a custom resolution?
- Kingpin starts only in windows mode.
- Gamespy Lite shows the error 'Failed to excute program'.
- When I try and start a net game on my LAN my Windows machine automatically dials the Internet.
- The game is generally just running slow...
- Movement seems slightly delayed.
- How can I confirm whether vertical sync is enabled or disabled?
- Verify that your video card driver is correctly installed.
- If that still doesn't work, the OpenGL location in your Windows register is broken
Here's how to fix it temporarily:
- Within the Kingpin directory location you want to rename the 3dfxgl.dll to 3dfxgl.bak.
- Copy OpenGL32.dll from the C:\Windows\System directory into the Kingpin directory.
- The game should now load the default OpenGL driver.
For 3Dfx video card-
- Verify that your video card driver is correctly installed.
- Within the Quake 2 folder you could copy 3dfxgl.dll into the Kingpin directory of your hard drive, could be a different version of 3dfxgl.dll.
Question: I am getting the error- 'Please Insert the Kinpin CD' on startup.
Answer: Windows seems to report a second CD device as a "Removable device" instead of a "CDROM". The copy protection will fail if the Kingpin CD isn't in the first CDROM drive in the system. Putting the Kingpin disk in the first CDROM drive should fix this.
If you have only one cdrom drive and this is occurring you will want to close all background applications.
- Press CTRL+ALT+DEL. This will bring up a Close Program box.
- The only items listed should be Explorer and Systray
- Highlight any other item listed
- Click on End Task
- Continue back with step 1 until Explorer and Systray are the only items listed.
- If that all doesn't work you could also use the Kprespatch to remove the CD-Check.
Question: The game is showing something like- 'MM System 266 Tragic error'.
Answer: This seems to be directly related to the sound card and its ability to play the audio tracks from the cd. Within the Multimedia applet of the control panel you will also want to make sure that the playback device has the proper selection for your sound card selected.
A good test is to bring up Window's CD Player and attempt to play the CD Audio tracks. If Windows cannot play the audio tracks then the game will show this error.
Question: I am getting no sound or the sound is extremely distorted.
Answer: Within the games options there is an option for either " Max Compatibility" or "Max performance". You will want to switch to "Max compatibility".
Question: Every time I try to load a saved game it crashes with 'Error: FS_READ:0 bytes read'.
Answer: This seems to occur if the system is low on hard drive space. If you free up space and try saving a new game it should work fine. If the existing save games still give the error then they have now been corrupted and need to be removed or overwritten.
Question: All the game textures are messed up. Can this be fixed?
Answer: Verify that your video card driver is correctly installed.
Question: I would like to have access to the console. How do I do this?
Answer: The following line needs to be added to the AUTOEXEC.CFG file within the game main directory:
set developer 1
Or you can start the game with : kingpin.exe +set developer 1
In the game you should now be able to hit the ~ (tilde) key and your console will drop down.
Question: I would like to get the wheel on my mouse working with the game like I do with Quake2. Is this possible?
Answer: The following lines need to be added to the AUTOEXEC.CFG file within the game main directory:
bind MWHEEL_D "weapnext"
bind MWHEEL_U "weapprev"
Question: I run an extremely high-end dedicated server but the game seems to be harsh and stuttered.
Answer: We have had reports of some servers with more than one IP address behaving like this. If the server has more than one IP you will want to start the server with the +IP switch. It should resemble the following:
kingpin.exe +set dedicated 1 +ip 192.168.x.x
Question: Can I change the resolution to a custom resolution?
Answer: Yes, you can with the Kingpin Resolution Patch.
- At the Visuals Menu in Kingpin change FULLSCREEN to YES and then accept changes.
- You also could try the following key command: ALT+ENTER
- Add the following line needs to be added to the AUTOEXEC.CFG file within the game main directory:
set vid_fullscreen 1
Question: When I try and start a net game on my LAN my Windows machine automatically dials the Internet. Can I stop this?
Answer: Within the Control Panel you will want to double-click on 'Internet'. Make sure within your Internet Properties you select 'connect via LAN' instead of connect via modem.
- Lower Your Screen Resolution
This can be done in the Visuals Menu.
- Lower Your Sound Quality
Kingpin uses a lot of sounds, and sometimes they will caus glitches in the game while they are being loaded from your hard drive. Using low sound quality will eat up less RAM and decrease load times.
- Decrease Pain Skins
Each character in the game has two distinct pain skins for each of their 15 body segments. Try decreasing the number to one or none for improved performance.
- Turn Off Props
Non-essential props may be toggled off and on.
- Turn Off Fog
Fog may be toggled off an on. No fog will pick up the frame rate dramatically on some systems.
- Directional Lighting
Turning off directional lighting will improve performance.
Toggling shadows off decreases the character polygon counts by half, improving frame rate. You may also select "auto" shadows mode and the system will turn shadows on only when the frame rate permits.
- Blood Time
The amount of time that blood remains on screen. Decrease to improve performance.
- Decrease your screen size
You can use the "+" and "-" keys to adjust the size of the game screen.
Question: Movement seems slightly delayed.
Answer: Try disabling vertical sync. You can do that by adding "set gl_swapinterval 0" to your AUTOEXEC.CFG file or by disabling it in your video card's control panel. If you have an nVidia card then it needs to be done in the control panel ("Manage 3D Settings" page).
Question: How can I confirm whether vertical sync is enabled or disabled?
Answer: You can check by entering "timerefresh" in the console. If it says 60 FPS (or whatever your monitor's refresh rate is) then vertical sync is enabled.